The government is currently undertaking consultation about the provision of unpaid leave for carers. Under the proposals, carers would be entitled to one week of unpaid leave each year to allow them to provide care flexibly during regular working hours. This right would be in addition to existing entitlements such as the right to request flexible working and time off for dependents.
Amongst other questions, the consultation seeks views on:
- how to best design this new entitlement to support employees who are carers;
- the definition of ‘carer’;
- how the leave could be taken;
- the notice requirements for taking carer leave;
- the qualifying criteria to be met; and
- the costs and benefits to both employers and employees.
The consultation will close on 3 August 2020 (an extended deadline due to Covid-19).
Tap into and share the Kea world!
Don’t forget to add Kea to your social networks and when you read an article that you like share it with your network!